Tips to recover from Motions
Home remedies to treat Diarrhea
Diarrhea refers to loose stools or an increase in the frequency of passing stools. There is a loss of bodily fluids when diarrhea occurs and this can result in dehydration and imbalance of electrolyte levels.
The most common causes of diarrhea are:
- Medications: The intake of certain medications can result in adverse reactions in the body. Many individuals react in this manner to antibiotics or medications used to treat hypertension.
- Diseases: Conditions that affect the intestine such as celiac disease or inflammatory bowel disease usually trigger diarrhea.
- Bacteria: Various types of bacteria may be responsible for causing diarrhea. These bacteria are usually present in contaminated food and water. Some examples of bacteria that cause diarrhea are salmonella, campylobacter and E. coli.
- Viruses: Herpes simplex virus, rotavirus and Norwalk virus are some of the viruses that cause diarrhea.
- Parasites: These can cause infection in the digestive system when they enter the body through food and water.
- Intolerance to Certain Foods: Some individuals cannot digest the components present in certain foods. Lactose allergy is one of the most common food allergies.
- Hormone Disorders: Conditions that arise due to hormonal imbalances such as hyperthyroidism and diabetes can also lead to diarrhea.
Natural ways & tips to recover from Diarrhea:
- Drink more & drink wisely
- To treat dehydration caused by diarrhea, add a little salt to the juice of bitter gourd and drink.
- Don't eat only bland foods
- Get the right nutrients
- Use over-the-counter medications
- Rest. Give your body time to recover.
- Herbs such as chamomile and thyme are known to help in relieving diarrhea. You may use them in the form of tinctures, pills or teas.
- Black tea contains beneficial tannins which help to alleviate inflammation and infection in the intestines. You can add some sugar to the tea since it helps to enhance the absorption of water and sodium.
- Black seed oil is known to help in treating diarrhea. Add one teaspoon of black seed oil to a cup of yogurt and consume twice daily.
- To reduce pain and cramps, soak a small towel in warm water and place it over your abdomen. The heat will help to relieve cramping and muscle spasms.
- Turmeric helps to destroy bacteria and thus helps in treating infection. Add one teaspoon of turmeric to warm water and drink.
- To reduce abdominal cramps arising from diarrhea, add half a teaspoon each of lemon juice and ginger juice to black pepper powder. Consume the mixture thrice daily.
- Indian gooseberry serves as an effective diarrhea treatment. Add a pinch of black salt to half a teaspoon of Indian gooseberry powder and consume after meals.
- Mashed apples are known to be a beneficial food for those with diarrhea.